Although bananas are acceptable even if you have diabetes, moderation is the key.
You can add bananas to your food in the following ways-
· Eating a whole banana is a better option compared to having it in smoothies or juices.
· Always choose a ripe but not an overripe banana. Starch constitutes 80-90% of the carbohydrate content in unripe bananas, which as the banana ripens changes into free sugars. A yellow banana with a slight greenish hue is an ideal choice.
· Choose a medium sized fruit. The bigger the banana, the more carbohydrates it will contain that will affect your blood sugar level.
· A ripe banana can be made diabetes friendly by sprinkling some cinnamon powder on it. Cinnamon contains antioxidants. It also helps regulate the insulin response and reduces the blood sugar level.
· Eat some protein with the banana. It can help to prevent any blood sugar spikes.
Dr. Trupti Shirole